[AT] OFF TOPIC

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Mon Jul 24 19:44:47 PDT 2017

Having been a c/c++ developer on  dozen flavors of unix for decades, I can tell you Linux  is a superior operating system by far(except for Digital's openVMS but considering that hasn't been available for 15 years I concede it it no longer a contender).   Hell, Apple IOS is a variant of BSD(Berkeley Software Distribution.  I can't believe Dave recommends anything from Berkeley!).  It's reliable, easy to use, very secure and free from most of the pesky viruses, free to use and resource frugal so you would think everyone would use it.   But being open sourced and not branded or backed by a corporation the non-IT public is unaware and/or lack confidence to use it.

I challenge everyone to install it on their old machine whenever they upgrade.   Use their new windows machine to handle day to day stuff and use their old Machine to learn Linux.  You will thank me.  I currently recommend Ubuntu.

At the very least get a Mac.   Windows is a necessary evil in the corporate world but the average home user does not have to put up with Microsoft.

Spencer Yost

Spencer Yost