[AT] new duties

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 08:23:36 PDT 2017

I have used "all of the above" methods you mentioned Grant. The timber
frame barn I'm trying to save currently has 2 diagonal cables with
come-a-longs in place. Now and then I "test" the tension and if I can I
tighten them up a click or two. I just sprayed them down with lube last
week. I don't have turn buckles yet because I'm not ready. I did price
turnbuckles and about had a Fred Sanford attack... I got to looking around
and decided that I will buy category one 3 pt top-links instead for a much
lower price. I have managed to get one post back up on its rock base over
the last year just checking it when I am there.
Much of its problem is that we have had horrible winds over the last
several years. A few years ago the east end of the entire barn was blown
over a foot to the north by what I must assume was a "micro-burst" in a
storm. It was not sustained wind nor nay kind of twister but was strong
enough to move that end of the barn. It also rolled 2 flat bed wagons
parked a few feet apart about 80' each backward across the lot. Only stuff
in that lot showed wind hit.
My farm shop barn has three diagonal cables holding it against the
prevailing wind (from the west) that my father installed about 1952. The
cables were from the old abandoned interurban trolley line that had crossed
a corner of the farm many years ago.
The bigger barn that I am trying to save I'm not trying to restore, I am
just trying to keep it upright and under roof until a later time. Maybe son
Scott will someday want to fix it up... He has a lot of interest in such
things and I want to leave him that option.