[AT] new duties

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 10:49:44 PDT 2017

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Ralph Goff <alfg at sasktel.net> wrote:

> On 7/4/2017 3:36 PM, Indiana Robinson wrote:
> >>
> >> Barns are a whole other ball game...  :-
> >>

> >> Rambling again...
> >> A "barn" to me is a wooden farm building usually either timber frame,
> >> balloon framed or I also include the small dairy barns that almost
> always
> >> have a gambrel or cyclone roof around here.
> >>
>   I have a problem with how the term "barn" has been mis used so much in
> the media lately. To me a barn was only for
> animals. Be they cattle, chickens or horses. You might occasionally park
> a tractor in a barn but you don't store your
> antique cars and trucks in a barn. As so many shows and videos like to
> use the term "barn find" it has become viral.
> I keep my vehicles and machinery in a shed or garage. Animals go in a
> barn. Just my opinion and I expect I am in the minority
> as usual.
>
> Ralph in Sask.
> >

> ---
> http://www.avg.com

I won't disagree with you Ralph.
One of my name peeves is the use / misuse of the word silo...
To me a silo is a structure for making and storing silage / ensilage
(material that undergoes a fermentation process for preservation).
Structures for storing grain are grain bins, not grain silo's unless you
are intentionally fermenting the grain.  Also what is the ensiling /
fermentation process used for missiles? I doubt that a "trench silo" would
serve very well for missile firing.  :-)   Yet it works well for making
"silage / ensilage".
Another common news word misuse to me is "bulldozer" That tractor I had
with a big loader on the front and a backhoe digger on the back was a
"backhoe / loader" NOT a "bulldozer". Many of those news guys also think
that we still use "steamrollers". Outside of a tractor show when was the
last time you saw a steam driven roller.  :-)

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com