[AT] new duties

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Mon Jul 3 13:12:41 PDT 2017

Regarding wheelstands, Fordsons were notorious, I think that is because
they actually pulled the implement, instead of "pushing" as most
drawbars I have been around are pinned to the tractor in front of the
rear axle. The Farmalls, Deeres, and Case machines of the 50's, probably
not so much unless you were pulling a subsoiler or plow. Now if you are
in an area that doesn't have LARGE rocks or ground that develops "tight
spots", then it wasn't a problem. I saw dad pull the front end up twice
while using a single shank tow type subsoiler behind a 4020 Deere--and
this was in our garden! My experience here is with 3pt equipment, plow,
subsoilers, chisel plows---all of which will snatch the front end
skyward before you can snap your fingers. But, this is larger equipment,
pulled much deeper usually than what would have been typically used
behind 50's era machines. Let me  put it another way, the muscle era
tractors around here had quite a few damaged front ends. Dads 4020 is
tricycle (2wheels) and it has had a couple repairs. The other 4020 was
wide front and had to have the axle welded. The 4430 snapped a spindle
off--we pulled that tractor so hard we kept a full rack of weights on
the front end. Now don't get me wrong, we didn't abuse our stuff, we
just operated in tough field conditions. To prove my point, when the
wide front 4020 was sold in 91, it was 22 years old, with around 7,000
hrs and sold for $500 less than my grandmother paid for it in 69. Worked
hard yes, well maintained likewise.

John Hall