[AT] 'farmer' Francis Robinson

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 20:09:39 PST 2017

We used wedges when I was a kid, often split logs before sawing on the cut-off saw.  Some of them had pretty good "mushroom" heads.  I remeber that chips of the spalls would sometimes break off and ocasionally hit my shin.
A pole axe (single bit) looks like it could be used to hammer, but Dad said to never drive a wedge with one, always use the sledge hammer.  I suspect it would quickly work harden an axe.  We did have a small single bit "camp axe" we used trapping and drove stakes into the ground.  I still have it and the striking side of the head somewhat deformed, but not bad.

Len Rugen

rugenl at yahoo.com