[AT] 'farmer' Francis Robinson

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Mon Jan 30 19:24:09 PST 2017

Dad is 86, I asked him had ever heard of warming an ax. He said no but
did say if its cold enough and you were splitting hard wood it was
possible to break a plug out of the ax. He seemed to think there was one
around here that had a chunk missing. Given the quantity of wood they
used to split for firing tobacco barns, not to mention cooking and
heating, he should know. I've heard him mention several times about
leaving tough wood standing on end so it would rain in it and freeze
during the winter, seems it helped to split it at a later and warmer date.

John Hall