[AT] Tractor Tale

Joe Hazewinkel jahaze at aol.com
Thu Jan 26 17:32:46 PST 2017

Hope this makes it to the list.  Am I the only one who has put a tractor in the shop, tore down the engine, then let it sit for 20 years only to forget why I brought it into the shop in the first place?

One of my first out of state purchases was an 18-27 Hart Parr on full steel.  I wanted to have one because I thought they looked cool.  I think it might have been stuck, so I stripped the engine down but couldn't get the pistons out (I really don't remember).  I know I rebuilt the head and all the parts I took off are sitting on the workbench next to it.  I put an old sheet over the motor to keep the dust off, seems like I might have put oil on top of the pistons, at least they are kind of oily.

Life took over, as well as another 30 tractors or so, so it is now tucked way back in the corner.  Fast forward to today, I needed an old sheet to put over the car seat to take the dog to the vet.  In a hurry, I pulled the sheet off of the old Hart Parr.  As I went to put it back tonight I figured I'd put a pipe wrench on the front crank and see what happens.  The motor rolled over and everything was free.  Now I don't remember if it was always that way, or if the oil did its job.  I'm confused, but I guess that comes with age.

Anyway, I guess I better start thinking about putting it back together soon, I'd love to hear it run before I forget it's there again.

Enjoy, Joe

Sent via mobile device