[AT] McCormick Deering Tractor

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 17 17:02:36 PST 2017

  Ron, sounds like a cobbled up mess to me. F4 magnetos were "the norm"
early 30's until the letter series came out in 39. It is possible for an
F4 to have been put on an older machine that used an E4A or a Splitdorf
Dixie. Wide front--could have been a W series or a wide front F-series.
May have even been an industrial version---I12 or 14 or 30, possibly
even an Industrial 20 (I-20). Wonder if the guy knows what he is looking
at when he says gasoline only, all the older IH tractors I can think of
were kerosene or gas. Ask if it has priming cups on top of the valve
cover--not to be confused with flip top oil cups. The older 10-20 and
15-30's had the exhaust through the left side hood louver. Sounds like
the one he has was vertical. I can't recall anything of that vintage
having the air cleaner under the hood, wasn't room--possibly an
Industrial orchard model? The F series positioned the driver out in
space behind the rear end, not over it. They also used flat springs--I
can't recall a coil seat spring until the letter series. The use of a
fuel pump, makes me think F-12 engine so possibly its W or I 12 or 14.
Not aware of any gearshifts using an extension. 2 brake pedals was not
common until just before the letter series came out--the last F20's had
them.

Sounds to me it could be an Industrial tractor. IH supplied ready to use
Industrials as well as variations supplied to equipment manufacturers
where they would complete it--cranes, snow plows, crude loaders--these
were some of the finished products, but IH only supplied the running
works--kind of like buying a cab and chassis truck, or sometimes just a
chassis with power train. The use of wood on any thing IH, after the era
of a Titan 10-20 is something I have never seen (those had wooden
operator platforms and wooden clutch shoes in the belt pulley). Get him
to send a picture.

John Hall