[AT] McCormick Deering Tractor

rdhaskell at juno.com rdhaskell at juno.com
Mon Jan 16 21:37:35 PST 2017

Hi all.
I got this from a friend of mine, I am sure several people on this list
can identify this tractor from the information he has given.  Thanks
Ron Haskell
rdhaskell at juno.com
Riverside, California USA
https://plus.google.com/104862591013550196821/posts

Ron -  I wanted to contact you first before a general WAPA post on
identifying the model of a McCormick Deering tractor.  I have a friend
that lives in Banning and is a volunteer at the Gilman Ranch Museum and
they have a tractor they want to identify.  I am trying to get some
photos of it.  I looked at it today and it is on rubber, wide front.  All
mechanical and no hydraulics.  It is 4 cylinder magneto ignition,
gasoline only engine.  I think there is an advance/retard lever through
to the operator.  The exhaust is on the left up through the hood.  Air
intake is on the right under the hood and is oil bath.  I did not see a
pulley for a belt.  There is a large coil spring supporting the seat
hanging out in space over the rear end.  The gear shift has a long
extension to be able to be reached by the driver.  On the left is a
clutch pedal and the right has two brake pedals.  The pedals are a
vertical push on levers sticking out of the rear deck.  The speed control
is mounted to a wood box on the inside of the left fender ( which has
broken off of the mounts).  The floor is wood.  There is something
missing on the left had side which may be a clutch lock in.  There is a
link missing. There is an oil pressure gauge on the lower right of the
dash.  No other gauges.  They aren't ready to try and get it running, but
just doing research on what it is.  Fuel is gravity feed to a fuel pump
on the left side of the engine and the output feeds a tee that goes to
the carburetor and return to the tank.  The name is cast into the
radiator front top.  The tractor is only 9 feet long from the rear of the
rear tires to the front of the front tires.

The engine casting number is 4818D IHC and serial number 061807 (I think,
hard to read all digits).  That is stamped on the block on the left side
above the fuel pump on a flat boss.  The magneto is an IHC F4-111647
mounted on the right side.  It is a small engine.  Paint color is faded
orange.  Or may be really faded red.

Once I get some photos, then it will be easier to identify, of course.
Looking at some photos on the internet, it looks like a 10-20 or similar.

Thanks for any help from this limited description.

Ken Evans