[AT] Ram 3.0 liter Dieselgate

Don don.bowen at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 12 18:44:25 PST 2017

On 1/12/2017 5:45 PM, David Bruce wrote:
> The other issue is the regs being reasonable but if they had to cheat to
> meet the regs there is an issue. Not an insider but seems to me if one
> was doing it others were.

The following is from my son on the earlier VW scandal.  He is an
account executive for Jaguar Land Rover and has written several books on
automobile performance modifications.

"I meant to send this to you - I sent the below response to people at my
agency who were asking about the scandal:

This goes back to the simple fact that there are only two possible ways
for a Diesel engine to meet CA/EPA Nox and particulate emissions: a)
Urea injection or b) Destroy performance and engine life. Choose a and
the designers have to find a way to make the car not run when the tank
runs dry, and risk annoying consumers who are used to low maintenance
engines. Choose b and no one will buy your Diesel car.

Here’s the list of manufacturers that chose to use Urea injection:
Jaguar Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, Ford, Chevy, Allison, Chrysler
(Cummins), Volvo trucks, Audi, VW (Passat)

Here’s the manufacturers that chose to go without Urea: IH/Navistar
(almost destroyed their company when the engines failed early and had to
be recalled), Mazda (caused them to delay/cancel launch of the Mazda6 in
the U.S.), VW (except Passat)

VW thought they could get the best of both worlds by fooling the
regulators into thinking the cars are cleaner than they really are. ALL
manufacturers game the EPA testing to some extent but this case is
extremely egregious because of the difference in how the cars run. And
of course because they got caught.

Happy to chat more if anyone wants more back story – this is one of the
reasons Diesel engines are not popular in the U.S."

--
Don Bowen       --AD0NB--