[AT] threshing day

Herb Metz metz-h.b at comcast.net
Sun Jan 8 17:52:15 PST 2017

John, Thanks for mentioning this 29 minute film; brought back many memories
as I experienced similar happenings for a couple weeks at least three
summers.  A neighbor owned the threshing machine and a steam traction engine
and covered the neighborhood (after combine harvesting) by threshing all of
the bundled and loose stacked grain straw. His equipment included a long
powered conveyor that feed into the conveyor that was part of the threshing
machine. This enabled a wagon unloading from each side of conveyor at all
times. So I soon had a chance to pitch bundles onto the conveyor. We used
standard four tine pitchforks; bundle forks were two tine or three tine and
don't appear to have as much curvature of the tines. Also it is easier to
get the bundle from your fork if you only put the bundle on the end of the
tines.  About the fourth bundle that I threw onto the conveyor took my fork
with it; I could just imagine that fork tearing up the threshing part of
that machine.  The adult pitching on the other side of the conveyor
immediately saw my plight, and picked my fork from the bundle before it had
moved very far. I will never forget that.
Dad told me about a meal time happening when he was pitching on a threshing
machine. As the film properly includes the wife/women did all of the food
prep, serving, cleanup, etc. Back then most breads were baked by the
housewife. The housewife, who now became the waitress, could not handle when
one of the young men did not eat the crust of the bread, and, in a profound
way, said "Your mother bakes bread without crust?"; to which the young man
immediately ate the crust.  I heard that story several times over the years;
the best part being observing Dad laughing when he told that story. Herb(GA)