[AT] OT supplied air respirator vs american made

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Jan 5 05:30:23 PST 2017

I had an Airstream helmet that had tear off sheets that would allow you
to paint.  The helmet had a battery pack worn on the belt.  I never used
it to paint, but it was great when baling hay without a cab.  It
supplied air at the tip of the helmet and it blew over your face and was
a positive ventilation device.  3M bought them out and I don't know if
they are available now.

I bought a name brand Pauli & Griffin sandblast helmet along with the
filter that hooked on to the air compressor.  A year later I went to get
replacement tear offs for the helmet and found that Pauli and Griffin
were no longer in business, they had been bought out and the helmet was
discontinued.  The helmet and filter was about $750 back in 1985, so it
was a sizeable investment, nearly the same as my monthly house
payment.     I now look at the specifications of the item and if it
meets my requirements, I buy from the cheapest source.  Name brands mean
nothing any more.  You can be sure they have enough excuses to prevent
them from having any liability.

So many good products are no longer available due to the greed of the
manufacturers and the holding companies.  I can name many tractor and
implement companies that were successful but due to acquisitions are no
longer available and parts are non-existent. This is the reason I have
no problem with foreign made equipment when searching for tools,
tractors, or implements.   I already have to have a full complement of
metric tools and bolts to maintain the made in USA stuff, so why pay the
extra for a USA name when the product was made offshore and re-boxed in
the USA? My 2 best tractors were made in the Ukraine, one of the loaders
was made in Germany,  my most expensive tractor was made in England (
USA name), my portable generator and tractor rototiller were made in
China, my most reliable ATV was built in Korea (USA name),   my pickup
was built in Mexico (USA name), my small engines on sprayers and
compressors and small generators were made in Japan or China.  I could
go on and on due to the amount of iron I have collected in the last 50
years.

I look back on the time that my Dad and I would buy tractors off the
back lot of the dealers and work our butts off to repair them to work on
the farm.  If we had only ignored the experts" and bought a Belarus for
1/3 the price of the USA names, we could have enjoyed an air-conditioned
cab and spent more hours on the tractor instead of under it.  Dad might
still be around if we had done so.  I quit driving GM vehicles in the
90's due to the 8 hour job to replace the A/C compressor and the related
parts due to a screwed up design.  Now, my Fords since 97 need the cab
removed to remove the engine.  The dash falls apart on the Dodge trucks,
so what is left?

Sorry for the long rant guys, guess I must be getting crotchety in my
old age.

Cecil in OKla