[AT] Need some help

markagreer markagreer at embarqmail.com
Sat Feb 25 08:07:02 PST 2017

Pencil lead is graphite and is fairly soft. Powdered graphite is used as a lubricant in some applications. If you can't suck it out with a piece of 1/4" tubing or a drinking straw, it will probably just disintegrate into graphite dust and not be a problem.

-------- Original message --------From: Dick Day <dickday0 at gmail.com> Date: 2/23/17  9:41 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: ATIS <at at lists.antique-tractor.com> Subject: [AT] Need some help
The generator that sits on my carry-all (on the back of the Boomer) was in
my shop for a general clean-up.  I had just finished adjusting the
intake/exhause gaps and was ready to put the cover back on, when I got some
help from an unwanted assistant.  My wife's cat.  I had used a pencil to
see when the piston was up and the valves were both closed.  I had the
pencil sitting in the cylinder to see when it was at the tdc.  The cat
jumped up there and manager to push the pencil just hard enought to break
the lead off.  So, I have a tiny piece of lead sitting on the top of the
piston.

I'm not up to tearing the engine down and would need to take it to a repair
shop.

Will the engine self-destruct with the top of the pencil sitting on top of
the piston?  It cannot be more than an 1/8" long with a fairly sharp point.

I have done this same procedure for years and never had a problem.

Suggestions?

As always, thanks.