[AT] a "few" days ago

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Mon Feb 20 19:37:50 PST 2017

Thanks for the comments guys.
Regarding the shrapnel marks on the wall, notice the exhaust goes out at
an angle. We initially used a carburetor off of a 70's model IH tractor
and a Farmall M magneto. While we had fuel and fire, things were a bit
out of adjustment. There were a few backfires and it must have jarred
loose a bunch of crap from inside the manifold, hence the marks in the
wall. The manifold is rather huge, has 2 round baffles you "dial" to the
desired heat setting to match the fuel.

The main casting for the tractor goes from front to back. The crankshaft
actually sits half in the frame, just like on a large flywheel engine
with the bock serving as bearing caps--I think that is correct, no idea
how you shim the crank bearings. There is no oil pan, but a fluted plate
over the bottom of the crankcase.

Going by memory we used 18ft of plug wire. The radiator is copper core,
I think. Tractor uses a water pump, no thermo-syphon setup. You have to
remove the valve cover to oil the valves, nothing simple like flip top
oilers on IH tractors. Grease cups are still used to grease the tractor,
alemites had not been adopted by Case yet. Two speed trans. with a hand
clutch.

This tractor rides really smooth. Here's why--long cleats. If you look
at the cleats, before one cleat is through making contact with the
ground, another has already begun--there is no gap between the start of
one and the end of another. Dad's 10-20 McCormick however isn't like
that--there is a nice gap between the end of one cleat and the start of
the next--makes for a bumpy ride indeed.

Thanks for letting me share.

John Hall