[AT] slightly off topic, computer related

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Mon Feb 13 18:00:09 PST 2017

Charlie,

Am suspecting your long in the tooth computer might be better replaced than patched - at least if it's old, you value your time and it never thrived with Win 10. If I did not have the friend that helps keep me up with the constant changes to MS, security threats, and creeping privacy invasions by MS, browser and other software etc., I would find a HS student with good refs through church youth group or local HS to visit a while for an hourly charge to help me. As a rule, new hard drives are getting cheaper per TB and you might want to get a 3 TB or bigger for backup. There are some (one in three sales guys perhaps) part time techie college students working at Frys here that know their stuff and will tell you what gear gets returned and what gear does not. Just got rid of a still running PC that was less than 5 years old that my wife was using, but not quietly. Moved what she wanted to keep from it to a new one I bought her for Christmas + birthday and got some of my life back, as it runs fast and almost problem free day after day. (Got her a Mac as she spends hours on her iPad and iPhone, but am not suggesting that would fit you.)  I made my old PC (with early i7 processor) run way faster by installing a solid state hard drive on top of the old one, but it ate a ton of time and I don't recommend that for your situation. Have been tempted to do cloud backup as Cecil suggested for a short book I'm working on with editing help from Colorado, as it is easy to access from anywhere and won't get wiped out by lightning strike, fire, theft, etc.

Good luck.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas (actually Plano) TX