[AT] Farm flooding update California - new info

toma at risingnet.net toma at risingnet.net
Sat Feb 4 12:35:15 PST 2017

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017, Dave wrote:

> I'm a bit confused here. Can someone please explain how the flood happened “because of neglect on the part of the state.” Thanks!
 	Dave

California has dry spells that extend many years between wet spells like
this. Many drainage ditches are not needed during a dry cycle and are
either forgotten about or not maintained when they are not necessary.

This reminds me of the winter or '80-'81 or thereabouts. The San Gregorio
Creek went wild and tore through a lot of farmland leaving a 10' or 20'
wall of prime silt farmland. We were allowed to go in the creek and move
the channel back in the middle and use gravel to create a 4/1 slope back
up to the edge of the field. Lots of luck doing that nowdays.

I remember watching trees come up in the middle of the creek thinking they
are going to be a problem someday. Big trees fall in the creek upstream
and catch on the ones growing in the channel and turn crosswise, a log jam
forms and pretty quick the creek makes a turn and starts tearing out bank.

The old timers said the trees along the creek caused the land to be lost,
the land would become saturated and the trees waving in the wind would
loosen the soil and the next time the water caome up it would cave in. The
concensious was the trees were good but should be kept trimmed low.

Years ago the Soil Conservation Service would help pay for restoration
work I think. Now I don't know if they will even let you do it.