[AT] Clean Water Rule

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Feb 28 21:32:55 PST 2017

I have been feeding my cows in some long wide hay feeders that would fit
a round bale if placed just right.  It seemed to save a little hay, but
after a couple of weeks they had pulled enough out of the feeders and
tromped it until it was a mess.  I fed them in a low place near a creek
so they were out of our normal 30mph wind.

I was about to run out of the good hay and I have about 200 bales of
"cow"hay that came from another farm.   It is a little drier, but is
still good.  just not the green native bluestem we bale here.   I found
a bale unroller at the local dealer, and tried unrolling a bale.  I
really bought it to lay down before we put out cubes with the feed
truck.  That way they would get dry cubes instead of them melting on the
wet ground.  The cows loved it, and now they go after the unrolled bale
without cubes almost as good as if it had cubes on it.  I can now spread
the hay around the pasture to create a mulch that is well needed, and
not have so much crap and wet hay concentrated around the feeders.  It
also gets rid of the lower quality hay.. in addition to keeping the
creek cleaner.

Cecil in OKla