[AT] O. T. - Really tired today

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Thu Feb 23 09:46:55 PST 2017

100% agree Steve O.

Charlie

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Offiler
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:42 AM
To: Antique tractor email discussion group
Subject: Re: [AT] O. T. - Really tired today

Cholesterol isn't bad, and statins aren't good.

Cholesterol is a building block for cell walls, and it is a precursor to
important hormones and vitamin D.  We have all these transport mechanisms
(HDL's and LDL's etc) because it is critically needed all around the body.

In cardiovascular disease, cholesterol is thought to be that junk
accumulating in the arterial walls, so getting rid of it must be a good
thing.  Reality is far more complicated (it always is).  Briefly, modern
diets high in refined carbohydrates tend to inhibit the body's natural
recycling of HDL and LDL particles.  When LDL persists in the bloodstream
too long it becomes oxidized and breaks apart into smaller pieces which can
lodge in the artery walls, creating inflammation.  The body's natural
repair mechanisms report for duty, and over long periods of repetition, you
get accumulations of the byproducts of that repair process.

LDL is called "bad cholesterol" (although it's not cholesterol, it's a
carrier for cholesterol in the bloodstream).  LDL is not bad at all,
unless, as above, it breaks down and oxidizes.  Another problem is that
normal blood tests can't differentiate normal, healthy LDL from the broken
down stuff.  A high LDL reading MIGHT mean you have the broken down stuff
and the doctor quits right there and grabs for the statins.  More
sophisticated tests are just now becoming available to tell the difference
between normal and broken LDL but insurance companies won't pay.  Google
"NMR LipoProfile".

Doctors follow "standard of care" because (a) that's what they get paid to
do and (b) it avoids malpractice suits.  Standard of care is defined in a
complex variety of ways involving lots of money; from insurance companies
to pharmaceutical companies to health organizations (American Heart
Association for example) which are generally funded heavily by the big
processed-food industry.

The short answer is to eat a diet rich in vegetables and meat and cheese
and eggs and fruit, low to zero in bread and pasta and cereals and
desserts.  Don't injure the arteries in the first place.   Statins
certainly don't "fix" anything; they are a band-aid solution that creates,
as everyone is discussing here, many side effects.

SO