[AT] On the shoulders of giants

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 05:52:19 PST 2017

I was 12 in the picture below and by then I had a lot of experience setting
up either the MM hammer mill or the Harvey corn sheller. We all worked all
of the time but grinding feed and shelling corn was my responsibility. In
hay season my job was setting up the AC hay blower and running and
unloading the wagons for dry chop hay. At corn harvest my job was setting
up the 48' Myer elevator, running and unloading wagons. The same with wheat
and oats.
We were farming 220 acres with a dairy herd of usually 45 cows being milked
(my mother managed the dairy operation and did about all of the milking). A
small 30 head beef herd and what worked up to a 60 sow hog operation.
During all of the other jobs feed grinding still had to be done. Critters
don't stop eating just because you get busy at something else.  :-)
Then in later years there was almost constant sorting and weighing of hogs
and all of the related shots, rings, castrating etc. etc. etc...
Like a lot of farms, about all we ever did was work...