[AT] Adding electric starter

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Fri Feb 10 01:29:26 PST 2017

speaking of hard to start tractors, I've got a story for you.
I think I've told it here before but it's worth repeating.

Growing up I had a friend and neighbor who's dad was a tenant
farmer and had no land of his own.  He had a big family.  He was
a good farmer but poor, perhaps not the best manager.  He had two
tractors that he and his sons used to tend about 100 acres of land
including maybe 15 acres of tobacco and the rest in corn and soybeans.
The tractors were a Farmall A and a slightly newer Super A.    They would
plow all of those 100 acres with 1 bottom 14" plows, working shifts, 24
hours
a day in the spring.

I used to help them harvest tobacco in the summers when I wasn't busy on our
place.
The old A they had was so worn out that it didn't have enough compression to
start.
Sometimes you could start it with the hand crank but it meant turning the
crank round
and round at a high rate of speed for 4 or 5 minutes, non stop.  The good
thing was it
didn't take that much effort to turn the crank with the engine being so
worn.  If that failed
and it often did, they would chain it to the Super A and pull it around and
around the farm lot
in high gear until it built enough heat in the engine to get the compression
up where it would fire.
It looked like a scene out of Green Acres most of the time!

Once you got the old A running the instructions from the farmer were:

Do NOT cut it off.  Do NOT put any oil in it until it STOPS SMOKING!  Then
only put 1 Quart in it.
When the thing sat running idle it blew continuous smoke rings,  If there
was little or no
wind blowing the smoke rings would go up one after the other with each new
ring passing through
the old one as it expanded and faded away.  it was mesmerizing to watch the
thing.

Needless to say, all those boys left the farm as fast as they could get away
and find a paying job.

Charlie