[AT] Farm flooding update California - new info

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sat Feb 4 11:08:24 PST 2017

Grant Brians wrote:
> Well, here is the updated info on our flooding here. I don't usually
> post when I am sad, but this morning I am. Yesterday I was able to
> finally look at just how bad the flood damage was to our farm from the
> Pacheco Creek flooding. We have a 6 foot deep gully that is up to 30
> feet wide through two of our most productive fields! In addition the
> remainder of one of those two is covered with a layer of rocks from the
> flood. I am just trying to figure out whether there is some way to fix
> this economically. We shall see. Over 40 acres of land damaged there in
> those two fields. I was taking video last night and can't post that, but
> I am attaching a picture that shows where they are on the edge of the
> open water where one creek heads into the lake. Every part of this
> picture with water except for the creek beds is normally fields,
> pastures and homes....
>                Grant Brians - Hollister,California farmer of vegetables
> (and floods?)

Sounds like the damage that happened to the neighbors field when it
flooded because of neglect on the part of the state. You may want to
talk to any of the crews that are doing repairs to things like roads,
bridges and such. The farm up the road had his fields all restored as
part of the repair process. They even added some "extra" land when they
moved the creek back into the original channel from the 60's.

Didn't cost him directly at the time out of pocket as the repairs came
out of the state funding. So he got a lot of his own money back.

--
Steve W.