[AT] Farm flooding update California - new info

toma at risingnet.net toma at risingnet.net
Sat Feb 4 12:57:10 PST 2017

Here in the Sierra foothills we have been under a "Flash flood watch"
through most of January. We are on high ground at about 1600 ft. so I have
thought how does this affect us. Yesterday we found out. About 2 pm a
series of thunderstorms came through and it rained very heavy for a while.
while we only picked up about an inch of rain 5 or 6 inches were received
at the 2500-3500ft elevation. On the way to town there are two small
creeks with small bridges over them. Both bridges plugged up with debris
and water ran over the road too deep to drive through. At one bridge the
road became undermined and a 12' chunk of road fell in making the bridge
unpassable when the water went down. We went to bed last night thinking we
would not be able to get to town without going out the long way. We
learned this morning that the brige on the main road is still passable.

Tom Armstrong