[AT] Electric welding helmet

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 06:08:38 PST 2017

Auto-darkening helmets are the only way to go.  One difference I see
between the budget models and the better models is the size of the viewing
window.  Mine is about 4" x 4" and the budget models are about half this
size.  Bigger is just nicer in general, but you'll really appreciate it if
you wear bifocals.

Small features that aren't show stoppers but make a helmet nicer include
things like a nice big knob in back, with a beefy mechanism, to adjust the
headband.  Big deal to me, because I'm constantly adjusting mine, as
follows:  I first loosen it, then place it on my head, then crank it snug.
Sometime bare-headed, sometimes with a bandanna, sometimes with a knit wool
hat.  For each of these the fit is different so in practice it turns out
that I fiddle with that adjuster a LOT, and I've had smaller cheaper
adjusters break in the past.

Mine is dual-range with 5-9 on the low setting and 9-14 on high.  I guess
the low end might be useful for oxy-acetylene.  I run mine between 10 and
11 for burning 3/32-1/8" stick in the 75-125 amp range.  Smaller rod and
lower current you'll want to turn it down a bit.  Another pet peeve is
helmets that don't tighten firmly on the headband so the face shield moves
when you don't want it to.  And lighter is always better.  I don't know if
today's budget helmets are made of cheaper heavier materials or not, but I
know mine is very light compared with my ancient fixed-shade flip-down.

SO