[AT] JD B machine shop work?

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sun Dec 24 20:03:05 PST 2017

I don't know of one in that part of the state, unfortunately.  Like others mentioned, the dealer can be of help.  For instance one of the parts counter salesman at my John Deere dealer is an active on the antique tractor pulling circuit. He is a wealth of information of various services and parts.

I will say most machine shops will just break the pistons out of the cylinders. If that is fine with you, it's very easy to do yourself. I've done it. Turn the block upside down and knock the top out of the pistons with a stout steel rod and a sledge. This will have the effect of shrinking the circumference of the piston, making it a very simple matter to press/drive it right out.

I doubt any of them will try to save the pistons. Best you can hope for is they might be willing to put it in their huge presses and whatever happens, happens. But I can't think of a single one I have ever dealt with who would be willing to be patient with your  pistons to minimize the risk of damage.

Best of luck and congrats on getting the family tractor running!

Spencer Yost