[AT] Coating for small engine mag

magreer67 magreer67 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 15:42:29 PST 2017

Would the paint act as insulation and interfere with the electrical current?

-------- Original message --------From: Stephen Offiler <soffiler at gmail.com> Date: 12/7/17  5:58 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: Antique tractor email discussion group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com> Subject: Re: [AT] Coating for small engine mag
As long as the paint contains nothing ferrous (iron, iron oxide, etc...
certain reddish pigments could be a problem) it looks just like air to the
magnetism that is creating the spark.  Of course you can't lay it on
thick.  The air gap tends to be pretty small, which is critical for the
performance of the magnetic "circuit".

But, why not paint it at the factory?  That's an interesting question.

SO