[AT] 430V Update and misc.

joehardy joehardy at epix.net
Thu Aug 31 05:12:46 PDT 2017

Spencer, I'd suggest removing the valve cover and rocker assembly to identify some possible stuck valves. I'm thankful I didn't put my MM in gear while towing it home because found stuck valves. It would had been very costly otherwise. PS: June's husband passed away a few weeks ago. Joe Hardisky, Ryman farm, Dallas, PA.

-------- Original message --------From: Spencer Yost <yostsw at atis.net> Date: 8/31/17  12:59 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: at at lists.antique-tractor.com Subject: [AT] 430V Update and misc.
Up late doing some work and thought I would post an update...

Still nothing to report.  Joe soaked it a little before I got it and I have soaked it for more than 3 months.   I have switched to pure penetrant for soaking.  I have tried several methods of force and nothing is budging it.  I haven't tried dragging it, which is always a last resort in my mind.

 I think I have a situation where a very small percentage of the  entire circumference is not rusted. So  I get drainage over several days with light-bodied penetrant but I'm thinking the fluid won't stay in long enough to penetrate the rust( I get a rise in the dip stick level too).  If I put a thicker fluid in it i don't think it is penetrating because the fluid level doesn't change.  I may have to at least pull the oil pan.

I have unstuck several engines, and they always fall in the two camps: total hopeless cases that require the pistons be broken out or hydraulic pressure. The rest eventually give up the ghost with some patient soaking. I have a bore scope and I don't believe anything I have seen would indicate a difficult unsticking job.  So I am mindful of the idea there is the small possibility the lock-up is somewhere else.

I do change the penetrating fluid regularly since most will absorb moisture from ambient air and until recently it has been very humid.

Before I do the oil pan I have one or two tricks up my sleeve.   I'll let you know how that goes....

PS. I recently remembered I unstuck a mini bike engine when I was 15 for a girlfriend's younger brother. He had the carb off and it rained on it.  To be honest I don't remember if it was a stuck valve or engine.  If I have to be honest, it ran like crap after that(I was still honing my mechanic skills).  I also remember what her mother said:  "all Julie's other boyfriends say stuff and never do it.  You are first one that doesn't say anything and does it".   I got serious boyfriend points with the mother because of that mini-bike. They were a conservative, religious family and public dances were not their "thing".  So I still think fixing that minibike got me a date with the daughter for the homecoming dance. :-).   Funny how those memories become sweeter over time.

Spencer Yost