[AT] Eco Diesel road trip

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 08:13:28 PDT 2017

My 97 Cummins is also kinda tough on my better half for long road trips
(she prefers her quiet little Camry). I'm somewhat deaf but even so the cab
drone gets annoying above about 65. The truck has been regeared and has a
4" exhaust, engine brake and at least different injectors as the PO used it
for towing a 35' 5th wheel up some mountain grades here. It works good with
my gooseneck. I just wish it had another gear or two.

Interestingly enough, the back, lower part of the cab has no sound
absorption, and the box tended to resonate (to the point of metal fatigue;
it's got several cracks) on the passenger side in front of the rear wheel.
Some insulation and another strut from the frame knocked that down but I
haven't gone after the back of the cab yet. Also, the re-addition of the
catalytic converter (Arizona now checks for those. mine didn't have it when
I got it but I got the honor of putting one back in there) seems to be a
restriction that's causing EGT's to get out of hand on long tough grades.

The new trucks sound interesting, but I can't justify the cost for the
small mileage I run.

Ken in AZ