[AT] Eco Diesel road trip

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Aug 15 05:52:23 PDT 2017

Dennis:
What RPM does the engine run at 60 or 65?  What size tires?  I used to
gear my old Chevrolets with 4.10 gears behind a 350 engine and a 700R4
Transmission since it had an overdrive.  With the old 350 trans I had to
be satisfied with a top speed of 65 with the 4.10 or either lugging or
over-revving the engine on a hill with a trailer with the 3.73.   When I
went to 3/4 tons and 16 in tires, it the 4.10 was about right.

I have 2- 1995 Ford 1tons, one with a 3.73 and the other with 4.10
gears.   Both have A4OD transmissions and 7.3 diesels.  The one with the
4.10 ratio pulls the best of course, but it really is wound up at 75mph
on the turnpike and will only get about 10mpg The 3.73 gets the best
mileage (about 15 w/trailer and 20 without).  However, once I was
pulling a 40 ft trailer loaded with 25 round bales (4x5) and had to stop
at an intersection on a hill, I thought I never would get moving.

Now that I  have the C8500 with  the 3126 Cat and Allison, I just have
to worry about hitting my head on the cab on these improved cow trails
that Oklahoma calls a road!

Cecil