[AT] Eco Diesel road trip

Dennis Johnson moscowengnr at outlook.com
Mon Aug 14 08:19:23 PDT 2017

Just returned from a 10,000 mile road trip with the EcoDiesel, giving it a total of 162,000 miles on it.  Made 2 trips from Texas to Idaho pulling a 16 foot cargo trailer to move an elderly lady. On first trip did a mini weekend vacation to Banff, Alberta, Canada for a weekend with wife and without the trailer. Other than that had trailer connected almost the entire time. Took a week break between the 2 journeys at home, and a few days at Oklahoma cabin when near the area.
I had installed a HD oil cooler kit before I left and I am glad I did. Generally keep speed down to about 65 MPH keep oil from getting above 230 and exhaust gas (turbo) temps below 1000 F. Decided to stop midway up on 2 summits on I-70 near Vail and 1 other one top let the oil cool down as it was hitting 250F. Without the replacement cooler I would not have averaged 50 MPH with a loaded trailer trying to keep the oil temp down. The cooler also let engine coolant temperature run about 210 instead of 235/240. I pulled another loaded trailer a few months ago and noticed oil temp averaging 245 and water temp 230 which is when I decided to get the replacement cooler. Mileage was about 12.5 loaded and 14.2 unloaded. After dropping of the trailer mileage back to 22 when keeping up with 80 MPH traffic flow.
Engine had enough power to go 70 but i did not want to push the exhaust and oil temperatures, and boost pressure that much. Boost was running under 15 PSI except when pulling uphill. Peaked at 23 PSI on some grades, but I did not let it start there very long. Glad that I have the 3.92 gears in it for doing things like this.
Saw a few tractors along the way that would have been nice to bring home, but wrong trailer to do that.

Dennis