[AT] O.T. Woodruff vs straight keys

Rena Glover Goss rlgoss at twc.com
Sat Aug 12 08:42:08 PDT 2017

A key can be used as a safety limiter on torque so that it shears instead of breaking gear teeth, etc.  In that case, the length of the key can be used to adjust the break-away torque load.  Some small engines (like Briggs) use a particular metal for the key to get this type of safety.  In the lawnmower repair shop business, I often ran into engines where the owners had replaced the OEM key with a steel one.  I presume they thought that "any ol' key" would do the job.  Never mind that when they hit a gas pipe with their lawnmower, they twisted off the crank shaft!

Larry