[AT] Portable Trailer lights from Harbor Freight - Success

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Aug 10 20:35:35 PDT 2017

Well, I hooked up the HF lights to the 4 pin connector without hooking up my
normal trailer lights to the 7 pin connector.  WALA,  everything worked as
it was supposed, running lights, both turn signals  and brake lights.
There must be some kind of bad interaction between the 7 pin wiring circuits
and the 4 pin wiring circuits.  I do have a service manual for the truck.
Maybe I can dig through it to see if it is something obvious.  I'm also
going to look in the Owners manual and see if there is any mention of this.
I didn't have the truck hooked up to the trailer so the Harbor Freight
Lights were solely on the wire ground. I don't expect the magnets to provide
any kind of electrical circuit so I don't expect the operation to be
different when the trailer is connected to the truck. I don't remember if
the hitch connection plays a role in the 7 pin connector lights, however, I
do know it plays a huge part in the brakes

PS:  I did have a 7 pin connector to 4 pin connector adapter I used probably
over 10 years ago but had completely forgotten about. Went digging through
all the pockets in the truck doors and found it. Unfortunately either the 4
pin side connectors need to be cleaned or the 4 pins going into the 7 pin
connector need to be cleaned.  Worked but I was not getting own turn signal.
I'll do some work on the contacts and see if I can get it to work too.
Seems to be a pretty good one with the U-Haul brand name on it. ,.

Thank you everyone for leading me out of the forest into the clearing.