[AT] It is good to have them home.

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sun Aug 6 18:09:13 PDT 2017

Thursday I reported that I left my tractors at a show in Marshalltown, IA.
(http://www.miapa.org/).  Friday I stayed home trying to get some things done to make
my wife happy.  My dad showed up with my brothers kids Friday night, so it was a good
thing I stayed home, getting ready for 4 kids is a project in itself, one I wasn't ready for -
but then how to you get ready for that zoo.

Saturday my wife stayed home and the rest of us went to the show.

I had the most hope for the John Deere, so I spent a lot of time greasing it up. My uncle
really belied in zerks everywhere so there was a lot to grease, though half a pump was too
much for most. Checked the oil, add fuel, turn on the fuel, and crank... Nothing.
Everybody says these John Deere E hit and Miss engines get gummed up at the check
valve in the fuel tank... I did my best to clean it, but I didn't want to bend/break the
copper fuel line so I didn't get it out. however it seemed like fuel was coming out the top
end so I called it good.  Then cranked some more, still nothing.

I desperation I put some fuel in the titan - I had the least hope for that as it has a frozen
water pump, but I figured I'd try. Did a bit of cranking, but nothing - though on each
compression stroke a lot of what smelled like gas blew out the back of the piston. I turned
the fuel off, adjusted the throttle and choke (backwards I know) and left for lunch.  When I
came back I played with the John Deere for a while and then in desperation I cranked the
titan - it fired almost right away and ran! It wasn't long before it emptied the carb and
died (I didn't turn the fuel on), but I was excited. I took the water pump off and nothing
came out of the radiator, but there was a lot of rust in there.

The last tractor is an electric start Wisconsin air cooled engine. Nothing happened when I
touched the starter so I took the battery off and home. I put it on a battery tender
overnight, but the lights almost instantly went to full charge (on a battery that has been
sitting for who knows how long - seems unlikely).

Today my dad left so instead of a quick lunch after church we had a longer lunch. I really
wanted to get to my tractors, but family demands such of us. Then to O'Reilly, the kid
looked at my water pump and said "there are numbers on the casting, I have a chance.
The first numbers came up with a distributor, but the second came up with a water pump
that looks identical. He tested the battery and said it has voltage, but doesn't provide the
amps.  No real surprise, replace that too.

Off to the show and load everything up, and now I'm home.

The John Deere and Titan both have what looks like a hit and miss engine. However instead
of an open top tank my uncle attached a plate and some pipes to a radiator.  The John
Deere has what looks like a small car radiator, and it is themro siphon. The Titan of course
has a large sewer pipe with smaller pipes through it (if you have seen a full size titan -
same thing, otherwise look at pictures)

I'm not sure the cylinder oiler on the titan is working.  I put oil in it (probably the wrong
oil), and I think I opened it up but oil level doesn't seem to be going down. I'll have to learn
more about those things.

I have a few projects to keep me busy over the next few months now. I'm hopeful that
next year I can have them all running at the show.