[AT] Caterpillar troubles...

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sat Apr 22 10:28:03 PDT 2017

Grant Brians wrote:
> Well, I got bad news yesterday when we pulled out the D8 starting motor.
> The front main bearing insert got hot and seized when the water got into
> the oil. So that means I need either new bearing inserts or a used pony
> motor.
>         The semi-local Caterpillar dealer says that these parts are no
> longer stocked and good luck. I am hunting for them or a pony that will
> fit this 1953 D8 13A tractor. I am informed that the D7 pony motors also
> fit from the same era, but cannot confirm. It being Saturday handicaps
> me a little on this search, but I am trying to jumpstart the search
> because I need that tractor to push trees, soil and gravel to recover
> the flood damagd fields.
>       Anyone know where I can get what I need? I also posted on the
> Antique Caterpillar Machinery Enthusiasts forum....
>                 Grant Brians - Hollister,California farmer of
> vegetables, herbs, edible flowers, nuts and fruit.

Do you have the Cat number for the bearing or the dimensions? These are
shell type bearing inserts correct?

Would it be possible to pour babbitt into the old shells and scrape them
in?

worst case you could try these folks and remove the pony.
http://www.auto-lec.com/directstart.htm

I converted mine a few years ago when the pony self destructed.

--
Steve W.