[AT] Drill size for bolt tap question

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Thu Apr 13 13:32:44 PDT 2017

This is what I use all the time at work--be sure to use cut taps, not
form taps!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.osgtool.com/Technical.asp?tid=1&id=1

  For most threads 67-75% is about average. A couple notes--drill bits
almost always drill oversize--especially being used in a hand drill.
Stainless steel and tool steels can be hard to tap so use a lower
percentage. Some thread sizes calculate to the point there is no "good"
drill size--sometimes metric/english drill is substituted, or the hole
is milled or bored as needed. Having said all that, a 1"-8 hole with a
15/16 drilled hole will produce only 39% of thread--absolutely horrible.
No amount of Loctite will remedy that. You will need some sort of epoxy
to take up the slack.

There are some threaded inserts that use a larger than normal drill
size--I think McMaster Carr carries t
hem.
John Hall