[AT] Notes about the National Heirloom Exposition and antique tractors and equipment

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Fri Sep 30 18:35:08 PDT 2016

I have been off list for a while thanks to excessively busy conditions.
First, the farm and seed businesses have been requiring much more than
full time attention including having to work 7 days a week 14-16 hours
per day. Second, the week of Labor Day, my youngest son and I were at
the National Heirloom Exposition in Santa Rosa at the Sonoma County
Fairgrounds. The second thing attendees saw when entering the Expo were
the Antique Tractors provided by local folks. They ranged from the 1930s
to the 1950s.  Also at another location the fairgrounds has a 1909
vineyard truck that has been mostly restored - so interesting.
      I was a speaker about vegetable genetics, heirloom varieties,
modern varieties and what to choose for gardening and farming success.
Additionally, I was handing out fliers for my seed website
www.gourmetseed.com and talking to people solving their gardening and
farming issues. My youngest son was exhibiting Ducks and Geese in the
Poultry Show part of the Expo. He won Best in show for Waterfowl and
multiple first place ribbons, beating out many very experienced
exhibitors and he is only 13 still. He was very, very happy! Also, there
were some chickens I had never heard of there that are really different.
The chickens have all black plumage but they also have all black
wattles, comb, beak and legs! They are called Black Swedish or
Svarthona. Pretty cool.
        I need to close and get home to the family, harvest is going
well at the moment and I hope that maybe we will recover from the losses
of last year soon!
                  Grant Brians - Hollister,California farmer of
vegetables, herbs, edible flowers, nuts and fruit and seedsman