[AT] OT Cadillac Northstar engine

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Thu Sep 29 22:52:45 PDT 2016

Cecil Bearden wrote:
> I am sure some of you have some knowledge about the Northstar 4.6L 32V
> engine.  My MIL dented in the entire passenger side of her 99 Deville
> with 128000 miles.  I found a 989 for parts, but after inspection, it is
> in better shape than hers and as 53000 less miles.   It is like new
> inside and out.  However, it has the head gasket problem typical of
> Northstar engines.  I would like to repair this car with the head bolt
> kit made to solve the problem.  Has anyone done this?  A rebuilt engine
> is $3600 shipping inc, or if I get the car to Pembquin ND, then they
> will R&R the engine for the same price.
> Any advice.  Personally I do not like cars, but this one really felt
> good to my old broken back!!
>
> Cecil in OKla

OOOH a death star....

Done a bunch of them. Have done the factory approved method and had them
fail again. Have also used inserts with stock sized bolts.

Now I use the stud kit these folks sell. These work and hold real well.

http://www.northstarperformance.com/

It is possible to buy just the studs and make your own drill and tap
guide if you want to save a couple hundred.

Oh, while you're in there, change the primary timing chain tensioner and
the intermediate sprocket bushing. They tend to wear faster than the
other pieces.

--
Steve W.