[AT] Transporting a Massey Ferguson 135 across country

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Wed Sep 28 15:48:48 PDT 2016

When I drove the 74 Chevy fire truck from NJ to OK, the truc had a 427
Gas burner and a 13spd Roadranger, I had a devil of a time making 45mph
up the grades in West Virginia.  Once I got into MO, I stopped at Rolla
for the night and the next morning removed the governor on the
carburetor.   About 75 miles later at a rest stop, I extended the
throttle rod and the truck had some power to pull the hills.   In fact I
was passing Semi Trucks uphill at 80mph.  I had a friend who drove a IHC
Ryder truck w/24ft box and DT466 from Louisville KY to Oklahoma City,
and it had a governor that kept it running under 60mph.  He had a hell
of a time on the hills, it would not get a run at the hill.   We called
that Slingshottin"" when I was driving professionally.

Cecil in OKla