[AT] OT - Old generator blowing smoke

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Mon Sep 26 19:28:23 PDT 2016

charlie hill wrote:
> Steve, your reply (at the bottom for readers not following) makes sense.
> I was wondering if there was some sort of metering or check valve that
> might be malfunctioning causing it to over fill the base.  You're saying
> that
> it uses the seal on the cap to control flow from the reserve tank to the
> engine.  That is an elegantly simple way to control the flow and if it flows
> too much oil into the engine the excess is going to get sucked into the
> combustion chamber and burned causing smoke.
>
> Charlie

Yep it works a lot like an automatic pet waterer that uses a sealed
bottle to top off the bowl. I have one in the other room that uses soda
bottles. Works great to keep the animals bowl full.

In the oiler as long as the oil is above the level of the hose going
into the crankcase there is no flow. As soon as the oil level drops
below that, oil flows to fill it back up. The inline valve acts like PCV
valve. It lets the oil flow into the engine but hold the pressure away
from the tank.

One thing to watch for, Don't tip the engine away from the oil
reservoir. It will think the engine is low on oil and try to dump
whatever is below the valve into the crankcase.

--
Steve W.