[AT] OT - Old generator blowing smoke

Scott Williams swillia5 at rochester.rr.com
Fri Sep 23 18:59:53 PDT 2016

This isn't exactly on topic, but I've been working on an old generator I got
at an auction.  It's a Dayton Professional Brushless Generator from 1988, it
has a Briggs & Stratton 16HP I/C (Industrial/Commercial) engine, cast iron
bore (model 326437, type 0782-01 code 88102514) "9000 Volt Amps Max, 7200
Watts Rated".  The engine has a tank on it that holds oil, and it keeps the
sump full somehow, and if it runs out, the engine won't run.

I was having trouble getting a spark until the 'lightbulb' went on (in my
brain, that is) and I topped up the oil tank.  Instant spark (after a lot of
pull-rope wrapping and pulling, huffing and puffing.)  I had already cleaned
the varnish out of the carb, so I was able to get it to run a little, but
not much, it would die when I took off the choke.  I came back the next day,
after charging the starting battery up, and got it running again easily -
BUT - geez, was this suddenly a smoke machine!  Total fog bank!!  When I
realized it wasn't going to clear out on its own, I shut it down, then had
to wait for about 10 minutes as I watched smoke roll up and out of my old
garage door.  This is on the house that burned 2 years ago, and that smoke
was like a bad flashback.

I can only suppose that somehow, there's  a vacuum line or something sucking
oil into the carburetor.  However, I have only seen a couple pictures other
B&S engines with the oil tank (both on this same model generator,) and I
haven't seen any manuals showing them.  Where can I learn about this system?
I assume the "type" of the engine includes this feature, but I've not found
any info at all about the "type" codes.  If I just  knew what the tank or
the system was called, I'd be able to do a search.  It's too dark out there
to get a picture of mine now, but these pics show the generator I have.

TRACTOR CONTENT: I still haven't tried patching my old radiator on the
MF135.  We don't have any outside faucets on the new house yet (plumbers are
still here every day, who knows when this will be a priority for them.) and
I need to clean off the radiator before I can work on it.  Planning to try
JB Weld before I order a new one.

Scott in Penfield NY

---