[AT] The rest of the story

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 19:56:35 PDT 2016

Greg is right...
Geez, what does everybody think we farmed with in the 1940's and 50's.
Millions of bales were made every year using 2 plow tractors and smaller.
Balers don't pull hard... I used to have an old really heavy IHC baler with
a huge flywheel on the side that was factory powered with a Farmall Cub
engine power unit. I don't know what year it was but it had to be after
1947 when the Cub came out. That is about 10 HP and it handled it fine. It
didn't have to be light windrows either.
I keep hearing guys even now claiming that they need a 100 HP tractor to
pull their round baler. I normally used my Farmall Super MTA on my Vermeer
round baler and it had power to waste. BTW, the Allis C became the CA when
the rear axle hand clutch was added so it could be used to operate their
Roto-baler. The C series was usually used to pull a 1 - 16" or a 2 - 12"
plow. We also used those tractors to pull combines and corn pickers back
then. Most of the farms in our neighborhood went from horses to tractors
around the late 30's through the 40' and there were far more 2 plow (18 to
28 HP) than three plow tractors. Most of the farms here averaged between 50
and 250 acres. A lot of guys farmed 80 to 120 acres with one 2 plow
tractor...

.