[AT] no exhaust gasket?

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Sep 5 08:01:13 PDT 2016

On 9/4/2016 7:29 PM, Cecil Bearden wrote:
> All are great suggestions.  If you can seal the manifold to exhaust pipe
> connection on an IHC 304 or 345 V8, then you have something that will
> work on anything.
I've heard the same about the IH V8s but seem to have mine pretty well
sealed up. Need to install an
extra hanger right near the engine so that the weight of the exhaust
pipe is not all hanging on those two
little bolts at the ex manifold. I've had to replace the odd donut
gasket when they broke and I put double
lock nuts on the bolts holding the pipes to manifold. Seems to be ok but
you have to keep them tight.
On another note, my Olds 403 came without exhaust manifold to head
gaskets I think. It did develop a
slight leak on one side and I found a gasket to install plus a little JB
weld on the exhaust manifold surface
where it had a low spot. In hindsight I should have taken it to the
machine shop and had the surface milled
flat. I can hear a slight leak again on heavy acceleration.

Ralph in Sask.