[AT] John Deere Head Lead Washers

Ray Trimble farmall_1947 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 1 11:43:12 PDT 2016

    I Just completed installing the cyl head on my 1940 B using the lead washers. I am no mechanic but I rememberJR Hobbs being adamant that they must be used. What is the purpose of these washers? I noticed as I came to the required torque they started to crush and surround the nut.
    This tractor was stuck, I got it freed by attaching a come-a-long to the front of the frame and the flywheel and a lot of penetrating oil reversing the pressure on the flywheel. There was a discussion on the list here on how to get a engine unstuck. What I saw after I got the head off I would never run a engine after it was stuck without cleaning the cylinders. I pulled handfuls of crap out of them, and this tractor had not been stuck all that long.
    What I thought was interesting was the low compression enging. All engines I have seen the piston comes at lest even with the deck, this engine they came about a inch below the deck.
    On EBAY I ordered all three gauges for 24.00. They are new and new (white face) from India shipment takes about a monththe last I checked the tracking they are in Dallas. We'll see when they get here if they are worth the money.
    One thing I can laugh at now. When I installed one of the pistons in I puched it too far and the oil ring came out of the cylinder. I am lucky that I have small hands and could get a ring compressor on it and push it forward. Very small space and and awkward angle.
    Also I have never before set the clearance of the rod bearings using shims.
Looking fowards to get it running.
RayJD 1940 bJD 1950 MTFarmall 1947 HFarmall 1949 CubAllis 1958 D10 Or D12 don't know which
MF 1958 65 Propane my goto tractor
PS: there was a discussion about a JD 430 V, I had one and sold it about 12 years ago, put  ad in Green Mag. I had People fighting over it to buy it.Did not make friends with the people who didn't get it.