[AT] OT Cadillac Northstar engine

Herb Metz metz-h.b at comcast.net
Tue Oct 4 07:11:22 PDT 2016

Cecil & Others,
One of the few new cars we bought was a 1995 Deville w/N*; we sure enjoyed
that machine.
However, at 80,000 miles a gasket in pan (which is the bottom half of this
engine) started leaking; $2,000 to change.  Did some checking and found that
GM had implemented a mfg change on this, finally they agreed to change at no
cost.  Then at 105,000 a repeat, this time we had to pay half; still we were
satisfied.  Then at 120,000 transmission light came on.  (anything involving
the motor or transmission is a half day to get to it and another half day to
get it back in place).   Salvage yard guy gave it to his dad to drive until
it stopped (it may be running yet).
Herb(GA)

From: Cecil Bearden
I traded off a good 2cycle Polaris ATV because the starter only lasted 1
year the way we used it and it took 4-6 hours to change it and it was
$100 aftermarket.  I used to keep a spare 350 chevy starter in the back
of my 80  suburban and could change it in the parking lot in 30
minutes.  I had an extra solenoid mounted on the frame and only one wire
went to the starter.  We have had every starter replaced on our4 cycle
ATVs at least 2 times.  and they are a 20 minute job.  I would agree,
there is no place outside of that  N* engine to put a starter.
Underneath the manifold seems to be a ridiculous place, but at least it
is not inside the oil pan.  You can stand up to replace it....  That
said, whenever I rebuild an engine or replace a transmission, I rebuild
or replace the starter.  In an overhaul, I also replace or rebuild the
alternator. Hoses and every wear part attached.   It costs nearly the
same as the engine parts when I get done, but I don't have to worry
about calling a tow truck to get home.
I am leaning on rebuilding this N* engine myself with the studs from N*
performance in ND.  I would send it to them for rebuild, but I think I
can save about $1500 doing it myself.  I will also send the transmission
out to a good rebuilder I know for a complete rebuild.  With only 71K
miles on it, I will have a near new automobile that can cruise
anywhere.   I am sorta leaning on seeing the country in a few years.
Cecil in OKla