[AT] OT Cadillac Northstar engine

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon Oct 3 05:59:09 PDT 2016

Charlie:

I traded off a good 2cycle Polaris ATV because the starter only lasted 1
year the way we used it and it took 4-6 hours to change it and it was
$100 aftermarket.  I used to keep a spare 350 chevy starter in the back
of my 80  suburban and could change it in the parking lot in 30
minutes.  I had an extra solenoid mounted on the frame and only one wire
went to the starter.  We have had every starter replaced on our4 cycle
ATVs at least 2 times.  and they are a 20 minute job.  I would agree,
there is no place outside of that  N* engine to put a starter.
Underneath the manifold seems to be a ridiculous place, but at least it
is not inside the oil pan.  You can stand up to replace it....  That
said, whenever I rebuild an engine or replace a transmission, I rebuild
or replace the starter.  In an overhaul, I also replace or rebuild the
alternator. Hoses and every wear part attached.   It costs nearly the
same as the engine parts when I get done, but I don't have to worry
about calling a tow truck to get home.

I am leaning on rebuilding this N* engine myself with the studs from N*
performance in ND.  I would send it to them for rebuild, but I think I
can save about $1500 doing it myself.  I will also send the transmission
out to a good rebuilder I know for a complete rebuild.  With only 71K
miles on it, I will have a near new automobile that can cruise
anywhere.   I am sorta leaning on seeing the country in a few years.

Cecil in OKla