[AT] OT Cadillac Northstar engine

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Oct 1 19:13:51 PDT 2016

I graduated in 1975 from OK State Univ. w/ a B.S. degree in Ag
Engineering.  I interviewed with every tractor manufacturer that came to
talk to us.   I talked with several short line manufacturers one of
which was Hesston.  None would hire me.  J.I. Case sent an engineer from
Racine to interview.  He took me to lunch.  He told me that none of the
ag manufacturers would hire a person who had been on the farm.  They
only came to the interviews to make a presence.  He told me that he
would love to see me go to work for them, but that I would never go
anywhere in the company because I had worked on tractors and knew how
they were maintained.  I would be too disruptive to their operations.

I was heartbroken and tried for 2 more years to work for an Ag
manufacturer.   Finally gave up and stayed at home and went to work for
the State of OK as an engineer in charge of the safety of Dams.  I made
the first inspection of a dam in OK under President Carters program and
the 8th inspection in the US.  I was re-trained as a civil engineer
specializing in hydrology, hydraulics, and foundations.  I got training
from the Army corps of engineers, US Bureau of Reclamation and the Soil
Conservation Service.  30 years later I retired and now do consulting.
I still wish I had stayed in manufacturing, but the merger and
acquisition of the 80's and 90's and the bankruptcy of Massey Ferguson
just shattered the market for engineers in agriculture.

When I see the new machinery, I remember what the J I Case engineer told
me...

Cecil in OKla