[AT] OT Cadillac Northstar engine

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sun Oct 2 13:09:39 PDT 2016

I've owned two of this era Cadillac vehicles but never had the problems
being described here. I always traded them off at 100,000 miles.  But let me
assure you, there isn't room in that engine compartment to fart much less
get to anything. A huge V8 engine mounted transverse. I made the mistake one
time of trying to change spark plugs.  It takes special tools and Houdini
skills to get the back 4 plugs changed.   I never was aware of the problems
the Northstar engines had while I owned them.  I considered the two Sedan
Deville's we owned to be two of the best cars we ever owned.  Huge leg room
and great gas mileage, 27 MPG on the open road. And this particular era Cads
didn't look like big boats. Didn't like the looks of the later cads so
didn't buy any more.   My wife probably would not be here anymore had she
not been driving the Sedan Deville. She was in a head on accident wearing a
seat belt and all the air bags went off. She still got banged up pretty
good,. Those in the other car didn't survive so well.  A bunch of teenage
kids were speeding around a curve and lost control of their car. My wife was
heading for the ditch to try to avoid them but they nailed her head on.  Up
until I learned about the Northstar engine issues I would have bought
another one of this era if I could find a low mileage one in really good
condition.  We now own a Buick LaCross which has some similar traits.

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA 98290

It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.