[Farmall] m

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 27 11:40:51 PST 2016

Well that was an education! Definitely different that what I grew up
doing.  I never even thought about solid setting of irrigation, around
here strawberry growers would be the only ones doing it. I guess the
eastern part of the state where produce is grown would be a different
story. Here with tobacco you soaked the heck out of it and then moved
the sprinklers over to the next section. This is was only done during
droughts/severe dry spells. You had to keep your entire crop (more or
less) maturing at the same rate due to the way it is harvested. Newer
varieties have really changed this practice, but thats how it was done
for many years.

Eastern part of the state has 4wd tractors with those really narrow
tires you describe, I imagine for produce farming. One local guy has one
he uses for spraying soybeans and maybe corn. Corn I can understand the
narrow wheels but all beans here are drilled (6-8" spacing), so I'm just
guessing he figures he will drive over less beans with that tractor, or
could be that's the one with GPS and sprayer controls.

John