[Farmall] m

ebony51 at frontiernet.net ebony51 at frontiernet.net
Sat Nov 26 04:22:14 PST 2016

I remember 50 plus years ago mowing around the lakes in the Sandhills of Nebraska. The widefront end Super A's could get a lot closer to the lakes than the narrow front end H's.  The narrow frontend H's were both heavier and the weight concentrated on the narrow front end.  They would drop right through the soft ground that the Super A's would go right over.

Larry Hardesty
Kearney, Nebraska

 For flood irrigation,
 usually (as far as I know) the rows are heavily
 hilled, creating v-like trenches between the
 rows.  With dual fronts, if you
 are a
 little off center, the tire against the hill tries to pull
 the tractor
 farther off center.  A single
 stays more easily in the center.  In some of
 the dryland areas, big ridges are used for
 moisture control (e.g. highland
 cotton).
 They used single fronts for the same tracking reason.

 In some small vegetable
 operations, they want to plant rows very close
 together.  A single front is less of a
 constraint on narrow rows.  A wide
 front
 is often preferred for vegetables, same reason.

 The narrow duals can be a big
 problem in mud.  Aftermarket mud scrapers came
 along to help this.  I recall one year when it
 caused a problem chopping
 corn on my
 dad's farm.  We had to go through one big mud hole each
 time
 around the field.  We had the chopper
 and wagon behind an M with a wide
 front.
 It didn't have a problem with the front wheels but
 couldn't pull the
 whole rig through the
 mud.  A second tractor got chained to the front each
 time around and dropped off once past the
 mud.  The second tractor was a MH
 44 with
 a narrow front.  They finally unbolted one front wheel and
 ran on a
 single.  Steering wasn't easy
 but at least the remaining wheel would keep
 turning.

 Jim
 Becker

 -----Original