[AT] Detroit Diesel was gas versus diesel trucks

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Nov 22 08:57:02 PST 2016

Don,  I spent a few years behind Detroit diesels.  Your father in law was
right but maybe not exactly like you took it.  You have do drive them like
you are mad at them but really you aren't.  The power band is very narrow,
typically between 2100 and 2650 rpm and 2650 is stretching the top end.
Most are governed at 2600 or less.  They require a lot of gears in the
transmission.
You can't lug them down and no they aren't particularly good on mountains or
even
big hills but for flat land hauling in rough conditions they were a good
value.  Repairs and
maintenance are cheaper than equivalent Cummins or Cat engines.  Although
life span might
not be as long.  If you are young and something of a hot roder as I was back
then they are a
lot of fun to drive but they are by no means a lazy mans truck.  Leave that
to the Macks.
No disrespect for the Macks, they were tough and powerful just slow and
boring.

In truth they are probably better suited for running power units
(generators, etc) where they sit and
run a set RPM all the time.  That said, I wish I had never sold my old Jimmy
with the 8V71.
It would make a fine parade piece now.

Charlie