[AT] Detroit Diesel was gas versus diesel trucks

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon Nov 21 07:58:15 PST 2016

My first semi tractor to use as a trailer puller was a 6V-71 Detroit
with a 12spd Spicer transmisison in a GMC DF series cabover.  I loved
the sound of the that engine and still like the old Detroits.   I had
3-71 on a Generator we used every Ice storm to power the house and
farm.  I still have some of 3-53s, one on a roller, a Dynahoe backhoe,
and my latest an Ingersoll 250 compressor.  They are still the most
dependable and easiest to work on for me.  Below 55deg, they take a
squirt of Ether, but that is the only problem.

My next trailer puller was an IHC 2070 with a 3208 Cat hooked to a 5spd
rockwell with a 2spd axle.   Later I got a L9000 Ford and a LTL9000 with
3406 Cats.  If I ever get it finished, my next one will be a 82 FLC 160
Freightliner with a 400 Cummins and a RTO 9513 in front of 42000lb
rears.  It will hit 85 without any problems and cruises at 60 like a dream.

Cecil in OKla